We get it. Creativity can feel impossible sometimes. It’s really easy to just say “I’m not a creative person.” The reality is that you are. Everyone’s capable of being creative. It just takes some practice. Try these simple ways to spark creativity in your life. The more you practice, the better you’ll get.
- Start now. Turn off the TV, step away from the cell phone or tablet, and make time for being creative.
- Leave a notebook by your bed. Write down ideas before bed or if you wake up in the night. Doodle. Whatever comes to mind—there is no wrong.
- Get out of your routine. Have a favorite playlist? Or love being inside? Switch it up. Listen to something you’ve never been into before. Go outside. Do the opposite of what you usually do and see where it takes you.
- Let your inner child out. Kids don’t tend to overthink things and you shouldn’t either. Find “play time” in your day and let your inner child take over for a bit.
- Be alone. We absolutely love this blog post on The Artists Way that shares 101 Artist Date Ideas. Give one (or many) of them a try.
- Accept boredom. It is OKAY to be bored. In fact, sometimes boredom can bring about the best ideas. Listen to Neil Gaiman. He is, after all, a New York Times bestselling author.
- Drink. That’s it. Sometimes you just need a drink in your hand.